A Catalyst for Creating Social Value
The Social Enterprise Initiative at HBS applies innovative business practices and managerial disciplines to drive sustained, high-impact social change. It's grounded in the mission of Harvard Business School and aims to inspire, educate, and support leaders who make a difference in the world:
- The Social Enterprise Initiative engages with the nonprofit, for-profit, and public sectors to generate and share resources, tools, and knowledge.
- Courses that focus on social enterprise are embedded into the MBA curriculum and Executive Education program offerings.
- Beyond the classroom, HBS offers career development programs designed to support students and alumni who are engaged professionally in the social sector.
Since 1993, HBS faculty have researched and written over 800 social enterprise books, cases and teaching notes. Today, more than 90 faculty members engage in research projects, course development, and other activities. Research forums and conferences sponsored by the Social Enterprise Initiative have examined a wide range of topics, including Nonprofit Strategy, Business Leadership in the Social Sector, Consumer-Driven Healthcare, Global Poverty, and Public Education.
Supporting a Dynamic Community
The Social Enterprise Initiative at HBS is a focal point for the creativity and energy of its worldwide community at all stages of their careers:
- MBA students with backgrounds in all sectors have a range of opportunities for involvement in social enterprise at HBS. Discover the MBA Experience
- HBS faculty members engage in social enterprise research, teaching, case development, and course design. Explore Faculty & Research
- HBS alumni connect with colleagues through the Social Enterprise Alumni Association, local clubs, and educational and reunion programs. See Alumni Resources
- Organizations interact with the HBS social enterprise community through Executive Education programs, field studies, recruitment and hiring, and community engagement programs. See opportunities for Organizations