Leaders have always faced the job of inspiring others while making important decisions with incomplete information. Today's leaders are confronted with challenges and opportunities that have never been more dynamic or complex. Helping individuals effectively understand and manage these forces is a key responsibility of HBS and the Leadership Initiative.
We undertake cutting-edge research and course development projects about leadership and leadership development, both within Harvard Business School and through collaborations with other organizations.
We foster a global conversation that addresses the challenges of leadership in context—across time and location.
We encourage interdisciplinary exchange in order to bridge the gap between scholarship and practice.
MBA students benefit directly from the work of the Leadership Initiative across their two years at HBS.
We offer many programs that strengthen the leadership capacity of individuals and their organizations.
- High Potentials Leadership Program
- Leadership Best Practices
- Leadership for Senior Executives
- Leading with Impact: Staying on the Fast Track
- Maximizing Your Leadership Potential
Managing and Developing Teams Rate yourself from 1 (low) to 5 (high)
Your score indicates you are an emerging team leader. indicates you are an emerging team leader. To lead your team effectively, we recommend the following readings:
- Saving Your Rookie Managers from Themselves
Carol A. Walker
- How I Learned to Let My Workers Lead (HBR on Point Enhanced Edition)
Your score indicates that you are a dynamic team leader. To continue leading your high-performing team effectively, we suggest the following selection:
- Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances
- Want Collaboration? Accept - and Actively Manage - Conflict
Jeff Weiss and Jonathan Hughes
Your score indicates that you are a skilled team leader. To continue developing high performing individuals, we suggest the following selection:
- Leading Clever People Rob Goffee and Gareth Jones
Blogging About Business-Interview with Tony Mayo, Thomas S. Murphy Senior Lecturer of Business Administration and Director, Leadership Initiative.
Dean Nitin Nohria and Professors Scott Snook and Rakesh Khurana have recently edited,
The book is available through Sage Publications.