The Health Care Club (HCC) is a student-led group and is one of the largest and most active student clubs on campus. The mission of the HCC is to promote the image of HBS as an institution that produces leaders who have an impact in the business of health care. We achieve this by providing a forum for students to learn the business of health care, prepare for and pursue careers in health care, and interact with peers, alumni, professors, and leaders in health care.
The Health Care Club has more than 250 members, comprising MBA students, Ph.D. students, and partners. Their backgrounds span the areas of life sciences, biotech and pharmaceuticals, devices and diagnostics, health IT, payors, providers, policy, international health, venture capital, and professional services such as consulting and investment banking.
Activities and Member Benefits
- Conference: The annual HBS Health Care Conference is the premier health care event in the community. Organized entirely by HCC members, the conference brings together more than 600 students, alumni, and professionals, plus 30 speakers from diverse areas of health care.
- Speakers: High-profile speakers from all areas of health care visit campus regularly, and HCC hosts speaker events each month. Recent speakers include the CEOs of Johnson & Johnson and Tenet Healthcare, and the former President of the Swiss Federation.
- Networking and Community Building: The club facilitates regular mixers and small group dinners with HCC members, alumni, other business school students, and the broader Harvard community. With a diverse membership base, the club also fosters opportunities for focused interaction among students with similar professional profiles and interests.
- Mentorship: The club matches first- and second-year students with similar interests to share insights and offer advice.
- Careers: HCC offers several resources for students with and without prior health care experience, including industry-specific interview preparation, workshops on specific health care sectors, and career treks to explore health care employment opportunities in a geographic area. The club provides weekly e-mail updates on health care internships and full-time job postings.
- Annual Health Care Club Fundraiser: HCC raises awareness of a health care cause and raises money for charity. In the past we have supported Prize4Life, an organization that seeks to accelerate research on ALS.
- Community Service: HCC offers continual opportunities to give back to non-profit and community organizations in the Boston area.