- Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati: Term Sheet Generator This tool will generate a venture financing term sheet based on your responses to an online questionnaire. It also has an informational component, with basic tutorials and annotations on financing terms.
Books & ebooks
- Chapters 8-13 in Extraordinary Entrepreneurship: the professional's guide to starting an exceptional enterprise. In print in Baker Library Stacks, Baker Library | Bloomberg Center, HD62.5 .H37337 2005 A practical and easy-to-read guide. Chapter 8-13 covers sources of funding, debt financing, seeking investors, going the angel route, venture capital funding and initial public offering.
Cases & Teaching Notes
- Deal Structure and Deal Terms Note
- Note on Attracting Stakeholders Note
- Note on The Financial Perspective: What Should Entrepreneurs Know? Note
- The Legal Forms of Organization Note
- New Venture Financing Note
- Valuation Techniques Note
- ONSET Ventures Case
Venture Capital - Firms and Current Market Analysis
Venture Capital is a high-profile source of capital for start-ups, but one that is used by only a small proportion of new ventures. Nonetheless, venture capitalists set a “high bar” for funding entrepreneurs and their businesses, and it is worth understanding their motivations and criteria. For more information on the frameworks that individual capitalists use to evaluate potential venture opportunities, see: How Venture Capitalists Evaluate Potential Venture Opportunities, HBSP Case # 9-805-019, July 20, 2004.
- Venture Capital and Private Equity Research Guide A guide by the Baker Library Services of Harvard Business School, listing selected resources that focus on the topic.
- PwC money tree survey Quarterly survey with overviews of venture capital and private equity in the U.S. and statistics by industry, state, and firm.
- Community Development Venture Capital Alliance Specializing in low-income, inner-city business development. A network of funds, regional and state specificity.
- National Venture Capital Association Industry statistics, trends and overviews available.
- American Venture Capital Exchange Includes venture capital news, resources and forums for entrepreneurs.
- National Association of Small Business Investment Companies The professional association for the SBIC industry and the oldest organization of venture capitalists in the world.
- Small Business Investment Company Program A unique public/private partnership that has provided $50.6 billion in financing to more than 102,000 small U.S. companies since the program’s creation in 1958.
- VC Task Force Provides business, legal and financial programs that give updated strategic and tactical information addressing imminent concerns of venture capitalists and portfolio companies. Also provides useful links to venture community resources.
Books & ebooks
- Pratt's Guide to Private Equity Sources, Thomson Venture Economics In print in the Stamps Reading Room, Baker Library | Bloomberg Center, Ref. HG64 .P73 Published annually. Information on PE firms.
- National Venture Capital Association Membership Directory. In print in the Stamps Reading Room, Baker Library | Bloomberg Center, Ref HG65 .N37 The Association, 2008. NVCA membership list. Information includes type of organization, size of funds, total investment past 12 months, investment preferences and contact.
- Private Equity Analyst In Print in Baker Library Reserves, Baker Library | Bloomberg Center Infomation and analysis about the market, recent deals, and key players.
- Venture Capital Journal HU PIN Information and analysis on recent deals, key players. Latest issues are not full-text online. In print in the Stamps Reading Room.
- Journal of Private Equity HU PIN Information and analysis on recent deals, key players. Latest issues are not full-text online. In print in the Stamps Reading Room.
- Start-Up In print in the Stamps Reading Room, Baker Library | Bloomberg Center Information on venture capital and private equity and start-ups, especially in areas of healthcare and science-based business.
- Capital IQ Database Provides in-depth company information such as data on public and private companies, investment firms, and capital transactions.
- Thomson One Banker Database Information on venture funds, private equity firms, executives, venture-backed companies, and limited partners.
- Galante's Venture Capital & Private Equity Directory Database Current HBS faculty, students and staff in Baker List of VC firms by industry and by geographical location.
- VCR Directory Online Database Information on 3,000 investors in unquoted businesses across Europe and Israel including angels, venture capital firms, private equity houses, secondary fund managers and corporate venturers. it is free to search for contact details of investors and pay to download more detailed investor records.
- 2008 Venture Capital Yearbook (eBook) This report details the state of the venture capital industry and detailed industry statistics for the past twenty years, including commitments, disbursements, IPOs, acquisitions and performance.
Angels are wealthy individuals, often entrepreneurs themselves, who invest in start-ups. The advantages of angels are that they typically do less due diligence, make faster decisions, and will invest in a smaller round – $500,000-$1,000,000 – vs. the required minimum investment for many venture capitalists.
Angels often form groups and work together. See links to Boston-area groups
- How can I find out about angel investing? A FAQ by Baker Library Services of Harvard Business School. Provides the best sources to start with for an angel search.
- AngelSearch Information and list of angel investors from vFinance, Inc.
- Angel Capital Association Overview of Angel Investors and best practices; survey data from angel investors, and directory of angel groups.
- Score - Counselors to America's Small Business Articles on all aspect of small business including how-to, e.g. Angel Financing: dos and don'ts.
- Angel Financing A portal site for angel financing including directory and articles on strategy.
- Angel Investor Directory Information and list of angel investors. Searchable by location
- Top Early Stage VC Firms Entrepreneur.com ranking - the Top 100 early stage venture capital firms.
- Angels Investment Network Connect entrepreneurs with angel investors
- "How to be an angel investor" The article provides tools and advice to potential angels, and a resource manual for early stage investors.
- European Venture Capital and Private Equity journal In print in the Stamps Reading Room, Baker Library | Bloomberg Center Articles on venture capital and private equity markets including angel investing.
- Venture Capital Journal HU PIN Articles on venture capital and private equity markets including angel investing.
- Journal of Private Equity Articles on private equity markets including angel investing.
- The 2008 Entrepreneurship Conference: Funding Strategy (Video) The Conference is held in Stanford. This panel discussion focuses on how to get VC money, alternatives to VC funding, and focusing on objectives in seeking out funding.
- Capital IQ Database Get information and list of Angel Investors; set up search alerts.
- Orbis Database Get information and list of Angel Investors and venture capital firms. Easy search by industry classification code.
Angel investors in Boston area
- Angel Healthcare Angel Investor Group
- Beacon Angels Angel Investor Group
- Bay Angel Angel Investor Group
- Boston Harbor Angels Angel Investor Group
- CommonAngels Angel Investor Group
- Global Seed Capital, LLC Angel Investor Group
- Golden Seeds LLC Angel Investor Group
- Harvard Angels Angel Investor Group
- Hub Angels Angel Investor Group
- Launchpad Venture Group Angel Investor Group
- RGH Ventures Angel Investor Group
- Walnut Venture Associates Angel Investor Group
- incTANK Angel Investor Group
- Center for Women & Enterprise support for women entrepreneurs
- Deshpande Center for Technological Innovation MIT innovation and start-up center
- Massachusetts Venture Capital and Private Equity The Stamps Reading Room, Baker Library | Bloomberg Center, Ref HG4961 .M37 2008 Massachusetts Investor’s Digest. Published annually. Provides list of venture capital firms and Angel investors of Massachusetts
- Directory of Venture Capital and Private Equity Service Providers The Stamps Reading Room, Baker Library | Bloomberg Center, Ref HG4751 .D57 Dow Jones & Co., 2006. List of distribution managers, due diligence firms, executive recruiters, fund administrators, LP consultants and placement agents.