To be considered for admissions, applicants must have a bachelors degree. Undergraduate applicants in his/her senior year are welcome to apply. Here's what you'll need to apply:
Required Application Materials
- Completed online application form
- Statement of Purpose
- Transcripts for all college/university degrees and courses:
- Self-reported transcripts are accepted for DBA programs
- Official transcripts are required for PhD programs. Applicants must also upload copies of his/her transcripts to the online application system.
- Current GMAT or GRE scores (see details below)
- TOEFL scores (non-native English speakers see details below)
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one from an academic source). Recommendation letters must be submitted online through the online application system. Hard copy recommendation letters will not be accepted.
- $105 application fee via credit card
GMAT and GRE
All applicants are required to take either the
Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the
General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Submitted test scores must not be older than five years, and must be from a test taken between December 1, 2007 and December 1, 2012 for Fall 2013 enrollment. Applicants are, however, advised to take the exam no later than mid-November. There is no minimum test score requirement, and admissions committee does not have a preference in tests.
Institution Codes for DBA Programs
- GRE: 3427
- GMAT: HRL-X8-59 (Doctor of Business Administration)
Institution Codes for PhD Programs
- GRE: 3451
- GMAT: HRL-X8-30 (PhD Programs)
A department code is not required for score submission.
Adequate command of spoken and written English is required for admission. Applicants whose native language is other than English and who do not hold a Bachelor degree or its equivalent from an institution at which English is the language of instruction must submit TOEFL scores.
Submitted scores must not be older than two years, and must be from a test taken between December 1, 2010 and December 1, 2012 for Fall 2013 enrollment. The committee prefers scores of at least 100 on the internet-based test. Applicants are strongly encouraged to choose the TOEFL internet-based test when possible.
Institution Codes for Toefl score reports
- DBA programs: 3427
- PhD programs: 3451
Applicants who applied last year are considered reapplicants. Reapplicants must file a new application, pay the full application fee, submit at least one new letter of recommendation from someone who has not previously submitted letters on your behalf, and submit transcripts covering any academic work undertaken since the time of last application. It is the policy of the Harvard Business School Doctoral Programs that prior applications and supporting materials will be considered along with new application materials.
Applicants who filed more than one year ago should follow regular application instructions. Please note, HBS Doctoral Programs will not accept more than three applications from any individual during the course of his or her academic career.