HBS Research Study Participation
Welcome to Behavioral Research at Harvard Business School! In order to participate in studies, please *Register* using the menu on the left. For further instructions setting up an account, scroll down to read more about Eligibility Requirements and CLER Procedures.
The CLER Lab studies human behavior and decision-making by inviting participants from across the Boston area. Research findings are often published in academic journals by HBS faculty and students.
We pay participants $15-40 per session to take part in lab-based studies that contribute to cutting-edge research!
Are you ready to join us?
Sessions are running as scheduled
In the menu bar to the left, please click "Your Account" to log in, or "Register" to create a new account.
All participants must be:
- US citizens OR permanent residents with valid SSN OR eligible to receive payment from Harvard University (click here for information on requirements for non-citizens)
- 18 years of age or older.
- fluent in English.
- comfortable using a computer.
- Register to be a member of the subject pool by completing the form connected to the "Register" link in the left menu bar.
- Do this only once. If you register twice you may be blocked from all CLER studies.
- If you are a returning participant (that is, you created a profile in or before March 2009), you will be asked to verify information from your original profile as part of the account creation process.
- During the account creation process, you will have to click on a link that is delivered to the email account you provide. For security reasons, this link expires after 48 hours, so please be sure to complete the process promptly.
- If you experience a problem during registration, please email email@example.com for assistance.
- For US citizens, providing your Social Security Number is no longer required to register. However, if you earn $75 or greater in a particular session, you may be required to provide your SSN at the time you receive payment. Click here for more information.
Study Participation and Managing Your Account
- After you are registered, you will be able to log in to a secure server using the "Your Account" link on the left menu bar.
- While logged in, you will be able to view sessions you are eligible to sign up for, view your upcoming sessions and your participation history, and update your profile if needed.
Lab Study Information
- Read the study description carefully before signing up for a session. You must meet any additional eligibility criteria described there.
- Verify the location of the study, and that you can show up on time. Participants must arrive on time to be eligible for any payment. Many experiments require a minimum or specific number of participants, so it is important to show up if you have signed up. The researcher may not be able to run the experiment if there are not enough participants present.
- A repeated failure to show up on time may result in exclusion from eligibility for future sessions.
- Studies usually last 1 to 2 hours (payments are higher for longer experiments).
- Studies may include individual tasks or involve interactions with others.
- You may be required to present valid government-issued picture ID when you show up (and a valid student ID if the session is only for students).
The use of this website is at your own risk. We make no representations of our ability to offer study opportunities to volunteers and we reserve the right to terminate, discontinue or deactivate any participant or applicant at any time for any reason with or without notice.
- For most lab studies conducted at HBS, payments range from $15 to $40, with an average of $20-$25. Minimum payment of $10 if you sign up, are eligible, and show up. Note: To receive any payment, you must arrive on time!
Feel free to e-mail us with questions, comments or ideas.