Participate In A Study
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is behavioral research?
- Behavioral research is the umbrella term for experimental studies on human behavior in multiple contexts, such as consumer behavior, economic incentives, and group behavior.
- When are studies offered?
- Studies are offered daily at Harvard Business School and online (as available). Sessions have run from 9am to 6:30pm, and we plan to host more nights and weekend studies.
- What will I be asked to do?
- Many online and lab experiments ask computer-based questions on a range of topics that affect preferences, emotions, and beliefs. You may be asked to evaluate a product, perform a decision task, or interact with other participants in an economic simulation. Often you will perform a combination of both computer-based tasks and interactive activities, such as a team exercise or negotiation.
To be in compliance with the Internal Revenue Service and the United States Citizenship Immigration Services we cannot pay you unless you meet certain criteria. You must provide the following in order to receive any payment: Visa type; Country of tax residency; and Institution sponsoring your visa. You must also sign the following statement each time you are paid:
"The payment you will receive for participating in this research is considered a 'Payment for Services.' Therefore, you must be eligible to receive a payment for services from Harvard. If you have any questions about your eligibility to receive this payment, speak with your sponsoring institution or the United States Citizenship Immigration Services (USCIS).
I have approval from the sponsoring institution or the United States Citizenship Immigration Services to receive this payment for services and will provide Harvard with proof of my eligibility to receive this payment upon request."
Even if you have participated in other studies, if you cannot provide this information and sign this statement you are not eligible to receive any payments from Harvard. It is your responsibility to see if you are eligible to receive payment from Harvard University.