Officially opened in 2001, Spangler Center has played a dramatic role in connecting the HBS community and facilitating valuable student interaction. The 122,000-square-foot, red brick and limestone building, which complements McKim, Mead & White’s 1920s master plan for the campus, was designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects and is considered the main student center for MBAs. There are 29 project rooms with whiteboards—some with plasma screens—and a 350-seat auditorium equipped with a state-of-the-art media and presentation system. Many student services are centralized in Spangler’s lower level, including IT Support Services, a branch of The Coop bookstore, a business center, a post office retail outlet, Student Association offices, a course material distribution center, and an ATM.
MBA administrative offices occupy the upper level, and well-appointed student lounges with computer terminals are on the main level. Dining facilities on the lower and main levels are open throughout the day. Spangler Center also features two named event rooms, the Meredith Room and the Williams Room, and a beautifully landscaped courtyard.
Spangler Center was made possible by a gift from C.D. (“Dick”) Spangler (MBA 1956) together with his wife, Meredith Riggs Spangler, and two daughters, Anna Spangler Nelson (MBA 1988) and Abigail Riggs Spangler.
Spangler Center stands as a tribute to a close connection the family has had with the School for many years that began with Dick’s father attending the Advanced Management Program, at the same time Dick was in the MBA Program. A dedicated HBS volunteer, Spangler has chaired a number of reunion gift campaigns for the Class of 1956, chaired the HBS Visiting Committee, and, along with his wife, Meredith, has served on the Board of Dean’s Advisors. In addition, he chaired the School’s first capital campaign (2000-2005), leading HBS to exceed the $500 million goal and providing support for key areas such attracting the best students and faculty, and increasing global impact and outreach. A 1988 recipient of the HBS Alumni Achievement Award, Spangler was a member of the Harvard Board of Overseers for many years, serving as president in 2003–2004.
Spangler Center also has two named event rooms. The Meredith Room honors Meredith Riggs Spangler, a director of the C.D. Spangler Construction Company, chairman of the C.D. Spangler Foundation, former longtime board member of the Bank of America, and trustee emerita of Wellesley College, her alma mater. The Williams Room is named for the late Charles M. (“Charlie”) Williams (MBA 1939, DCS 1952), a renowned HBS professor who influenced the lives and careers of legions of MBAs and executives around the world during his four decades as an active HBS faculty member (1947-1986). Williams was a noted authority on commercial banking and a master at the art of case-method teaching.
This room honors Meredith Riggs Spangler, beloved wife of C.D. Spangler and a director of the C.D. Spangler Construction Company. She is also chairman of the C.D. Spangler Foundation; a former longtime board member of the Bank of America; and a trustee emerita of Wellesley College, her alma mater.
This room is named for the late Charles M. (“Charlie”) Williams (MBA 1939, DCS 1952), a renowned HBS professor who influenced the lives and careers of legions of MBAs and executives around the world during his four decades as an active HBS faculty member (1947–86). Williams was a noted authority on commercial banking and a master at the art of case-method teaching.
Soldiers FieldBoston, MA 02163