Designed by Moshe Safdie and Associates and completed in 1992, the Class of 1959 Chapel provides a place for quiet contemplation on the HBS campus. Used for non-denominational services, ceremonies, and concerts, the chapel is easily identified by its cylindrical, copper-clad, main building and adjacent glass pyramid. Visitors pass through an enclosed water garden before entering a simply furnished main sanctuary, which is illuminated, in part, by daylight refracted through ceiling-mounted prisms. Outside the chapel, the names of the members of the Class of 1959 are inscribed on a “sun clock” tower designed by German artist Karl Schlamminger. In 2011, the building achieved LEED Gold Certification for a two-year project that significantly reduced its energy and water consumption.
The Class of 1959 Chapel was a gift to the School from members of Dean John H. McArthur’s HBS graduating class. The Class of 1959 committed its 25th and 30th Reunion fund-raising campaigns to the chapel project. In 1997, a chamber organ designed by Taylor & Boody Organbuilders was added to the chapel, a gift from Albert H. Gordon (MBA 1925) and George F. Baker III (MBA 1964). McArthur, who served as Dean from 1980 to 1995, believed a chapel on campus would enhance the sense that HBS is a true community, an ideal embraced by early HBS leaders. The chapel was one of three new buildings and 16 major renovation projects undertaken during Dean’s McArthur’s tenure.
Soldiers FieldBoston, MA 02163
Harvard Business School
Boston, MA 02163